Happy Book Lover's Month!

Hi Team!

Did you know that August is National Book Lover’s Month? Do you have a favorite book? Sharing your favorite book and why is a great way for others to find great treasures.

To celebrate Book Lover’s Month and encourage sharing of your favorite books with others, please share your favorite book and tell us why it is your favorite in this thread, before August 13th.

We will be selecting 3 random book lovers to each win a 3-MONTH gift membership to Audible, worth 3 credits or 3 FREE AUDIBLE BOOKS to download!

Happy reading! :open_book:

My favorite book is East of Eden by John Steinbeck. I read it every year even though it’s about 500 pages! It’s about a family in the Salinas Valley, if you’re a Steinbeck reader then this is not surprising, that struggles with farming, family, and decisions. This book is a take on the story of Adam and Eve in its own Steinbeck-y way. I love it because it makes you think and you don’t necessarily know where the story will take you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was introduced to the book “Musashi” by Eiji Yoshikawa back in the late 80s by a librarian who thought I might like it. Slight understatement there! Fell in love with it, but not just because of the great writing, character development, plot, etc. But because it introduced me to a whole line of other works that I’d not even looked into - East Asian fiction and history.

Musashi is a “based on real life” book which most consider mixed fiction and history - very disputable which parts happened and which didn’t, as it was mostly handed down via oral tradition. But being introduced to the protagonist, who then I found out was a historical figure and wrote a very well known book “The Book of Five Rings” - about strategy (primarily regarding martial arts, but the concepts translate to business and life). Pored over that, which then lead me to read Sun Tzu’s work, as well as pick up and become deeply interested in other East Asian historical works like The Romance of the Three Kingdoms and whatnot.

I’ve read “Musashi” probably a good twenty or so times - maybe once every 18-24 months or so, and it’s just such an incredible piece of art. Highly recommend!

3 Likes

A favorite book is difficult. But especially recently, I’ve fallen back in love with House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. Might I warn the schizotypal among you that it presents some unique challenges. That said, it’s basically concrete prose about the self, the other, and the real. Half lit-crit analysis of an ostensible documentary, half tattoo artist’s personal journal, and existing in the liminal spaces (both textually and non-textually), it asks you to look at yourself as a story, a maze, something “made hard to traverse” and as much gossamer hoarfrost as solid black stone.

It’s a lot of things, I think is what I’m trying to say, and it’s meant a lot to me over the years.

Make sure you get the full color edition.

3 Likes

Valis by Philip K Dick

I don’t know where to begin when it comes to this book. The author delivers really out-there and bizarre ideas influenced by 1960-1970’s(?) psychedelic, “hippy” culture. During my formative early years of my adult life, I always questioned the nature of reality, why things are the way they are, and is this really it? I always felt like if there really was more to existence than what we see with our fallible eyes and finite minds, as if the ultimate nature of reality performed a mimicry to hide itself from us. I often felt like I was the only one who experienced these unanswerable “feelings” regarding the human condition. Valis helped realize that I am not alone in pondering the metaphysics of our waking world.

VALIS tells the story of a mentally ill protagonist by the name of Horselover Fat. Who through a unexplainable mystical or psychosis-induced experience started seeing the world in a peculiar way that unravels itself as a demiurge of worlds trapped within each other. The story deals in the prevalent issues we see today such as sociological deviancy or the callousness of an uncaring universe and touches upon subjects such as early Gnosticism and other philosophical concepts. There’s too much to cover and too much to remember regarding VALIS. I recommend it for people who like to ponder upon strange things.

P.S. I dont want the prize. Give it to someone else.

3 Likes

“To Kill a Mockingbird” is my favorite book. The theme of ‘walking around in another man’s shoes’ and how empathy plays into courage in the face of cultural norms just spoke to me and still does. I also love how Harper Lee was able to capture the innocence’s of the children and their play. I grew up before the internet but not quite that far back but the children running rough shod over the neighborhood always took me back and still does.

3 Likes

I love books. But not fancy books necessarily. I was interested in Zen and the Art of Bicycle Maintenance, but I didn’t finish it. You see, I like to lose myself in a book. I like to be transported to another world. So…my favorite books are not best sellers necessarily. I think the best book is the last of the Belgariad series by David Eddings. “Enchanters End Game.”

4 Likes

So, I’m admittedly a bit of an Oddball. I’m a huge fan of Pop-Culture books, that tell an interesting and unique version of a story, and this book is without a doubt right in that same line.

“Killing Yourself to Live” by Chuck Klosterman.

This book was written as a recounting of Chuck’s adventures when he worked as a Music and Lifestyle writer for one of my Hometown News publications, “The Akron Beacon Journal.” It shares a journey that he planned to visit and record his own experiences as he travelled across country to visit the final resting places of Musicians that had met with a tragic end, thus pushing their fame through the roof, and causing the fans of these bands to mourn collectively.

Throughout the story, he encounters some of the oddest people, and ends up in crazy circumstances, and shares his thoughts through the entire process. Travelling to the final location of the plane that Lynyrd Skynyrd had gone down in, to the Hotel where Cobain made an ultimate decision… not a single moment is without in detail contemplation of what made these artists as great as they were in their time.

Caution: This book does contain drug use, talk of self harm (others), and really a lot more drug use.

3 Likes

The first book that really got me into reading was the Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien back when I was in high school, so that book always holds a special place for me as a favorite. I like fiction books that take you on an adventure in another time and place. Before I had my son, I was reading The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss and left off about halfway through The Wise Man’s Fear. I don’t have a lot of time these days to enjoy reading as much but really enjoyed that series and know a lot of other fellow mural employees have read it as well. I also love reading just to research different interests that I have and to learn, I find myself doing this more so now than reading for entertainment.

3 Likes

One book is very hard so I will list two. First book was my favorite when I was a kid, and it is “The House of the Scorpion” by Nancy Farmer. This is a great YA/SciFi/Dystopian book about a kid who is a clone, and is being raised by a drug lord. The novel deals with the main character, Matt, and his struggle with identity and legacy. I love this book because its set in the Sonoran region, so it was the first book I ever read that felt like it could take place in our area.

The second is “Slaughterhouse 5” by Kurt Vonegut. Delightfully weird and very satirical. It was also the first book I read where the story jumps around in time, which meant I had to really focus to keep up with it. Deals with concepts such as death, time travel, war, and morality. So it goes.

3 Likes

Hi Team,
A friend recommended The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, and it really took me in a journey of my own while following the Shepard’s. All the different experience and travels he had to take to end up at a better understanding of his own life, likes and dislikes. Really carved his future.

Overall I loved this book I was able to relate to the journey that the main character took to get to the part of his life he is at. If you get a chance read this book!

2 Likes

I love the Hobbit - such a great read, and introduced me to the Lord of the Rings, Silmarillion, and that entire universe. Love that the Hobbit was short enough to be an introduction to the world, and then helps you get hooked into the rest of them that definitely aren’t quick reads!

1 Like

Oh wow Maggie, the Belgariad - hadn’t heard of those in a long time, takes me way back. Read those all and love them too. Reminds me of the Shannara series and then of course the Forgotten Realms and other DnD books around the same time. Some great high fantasy memories from those! Thank you!

I love reading books and I am actually reading one right now; “Educated” by Tara Westover. Though I have 2 favorites: The Road Ahead by Bill Gates surprisingly I read it 8 years ago and now my head is in the cloud at Microsoft. It was published in 1995 and talk about the information highway and how computers will forever change the way we interact and communicate with the world. On every single page, you can find information about today and the future. It is like he has predicted the future 25years ago.
Additionally, my 2nd book is Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki in which he tells about the method or steps he took when he was growing up to understand the financial system and how to be financially independent. It does inspire me.

3 Likes

Can I have more than one favorite? Yes? Okay, thanks.

First of all, let me just say anything written by Oliver Sacks, Mary Roach, or Sylvia Plath.

I love reading but I’m a slow reader. It takes me a long time to get through a book. When I read Brain on Fire by Susannah Cahalan, I was glued to it and read it in record time (for me).
Yes, there is a Netflix movie based on the book but the book is always better.

I read a lot of nonfiction books, primarily related to the medical field. Brain on Fire is a memoir written by a journalist for the New York Post who became very ill when she was in her early 20s. Her doctors are convinced she had a mental breakdown from the stress of her job. They believe she has schizophrenia. They want to commit her to an inpatient mental health facility but her family insists she does not have schizophrenia. They advocate for her and they find she has an illness that was only recently discovered. The medical mystery is what had me hooked to this book. It says a lot about the shortcomings of our healthcare system. It also makes you wonder how many people in history have been diagnosed with a mental health issue when what they really had was a disease that could have been treated much easier than something like schizophrenia.

Another favorite is Bluets by Maggie Nelson. It’s a difficult book to describe. It’s narrative poetry about a woman who falls in love with the color blue. You’re just going to have to trust me. It’s beautiful.

1 Like

steve j.
I am not much of a book reader, but I just had to post this one. Last week I received a new book called Person Of Interest by J. Warner Wallace. It has fake blood stains on the cover that you can feel to the touch. I took a glance through it and oh my, pictures and everything, lol. I am excited to get into it. I only started the preface. J. Warner Wallace is a Dateline-featured cold-case homicide detective, and he went to use his skills to solve cases of dead people where there was no “resolution” :slight_smile:

Get out of here! The Akron Beacon Journal??? My mom graduated from Akron East!

Believe it or not, I haven’t read the Hobbit. I have read the Lord of the Rings many times, though. You should try audiobooks. It allows you to be hands free and enjoy the book. The plus side is that it’s also like telling your kids a story too!

@Dioukou_Sissoko Robert Kiyosaki has a whole series of books, a board game, web site, etc. I just started with Rich Dad Poor Dad, Cash Flow Quadrant, ABCs of Investing, etc. I am devouring them as well as other books. It makes so much sense!